Hammond Community Theatre presents "Denial", a drama by Peter Sagal
Lawyer Abigail Gersten is brilliant, Jewish, and a First Amendment absolutist. Professor Bernard Cooper is courtly, polite and dedicated to convincing the world that the Holocaust was a Jewish hoax. When the government prosecutes him, he turns to Abby for help. Offended by censorship in any form, she takes the case, but gets quickly drawn into a moral quagmire. Opposing her is an idealistic prosecutor and a venerable Holocaust survivor who call her loyalties into question and make her confront the differences between what is legal and what is right. The conflict that ensues concerns issues of history, memory, free speech, and how the stories we tell about ourselves determine who we are.
"This drama is practically radioactive with relevance. The issues in this case are so loaded that they are guaranteed to push emotional buttons in anyone who sees [it]. And Mr. Sagal is to be admired for offering no easy answers. There is unquestionably the stuff of great drama in Denial." - (New York Times)
Cast of Characters:
- Abigail Gersten ....Kristin Duncan
- Stefanie............ Jena Bellezza
- Bernard Cooper...... Dean Johansen
- Adam Ryberg...........Scott Fimoff
- Noah Gomrowitz..........Jason Horn
- Nathan..............Jerry Golvidis
Performances of "Denial"
- Friday, August 13, 2021 at 7:30PM
- Saturday, August 14 at 7:30PM
- Sunday, August 15 at 2:00PM
- Friday, August 20 at 7:30PM
- Saturday, August 21 at 7:30PM
- Sunday, August 22 at 2:00PM
Tickets are $18, cash only at the door, or buy tickets in advance online at: https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/55011
Seating is limited. Reservations strongly suggested.
Performances at Beatniks On Conkey, 420 Conkey St. Hammond, IN (2 blocks east of Hohman Avenue)
More information at http://www.hammondcommunitytheatre.org/denial.html or call 219-852-0848