The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) appointed 25 voting members to serve on the Surface Transportation Security Advisory Committee (STSAC), which met Thursday, Nov. 17. Among the committee’s 25 appointees, 13 are new members and 12 were reappointed.
The STSAC was established in 2019 to advise the TSA Administrator on surface transportation security matters, including recommendations for the development, refinement, and implementation of policies, programs, initiatives, rulemakings and security directives pertaining to the surface transportation sector. The TSA Modernization Act of 2018 authorized the establishment of the committee.
The new members are:
- Carl Berkowitz, Self Employed Consultant and Educator
- Jacob DuBois, General Manager, Peter Pan Bus Lines
- Chris Engelbrecht, Assistant Chief Safety & Operations Officer, Missouri DOT, on behalf of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- Robert Kaferle, Vice President of Safety, Reliance Partners
- Daniel Krantz, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Secure Worker Access Consortium, LLC
- Adam Long, Vice President of Gas Pipeline Operations, Duke Energy
- Roy Morrison, Director of Safety, Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division-International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Mark Munroe, Manager—Emergency Planning, Mass DOT
- Brandon Myers, Assistant Chief of Police, CN Police—North America
- Fred Oelsner, Vice President of Data and Technology, American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association
- Al Stiehler, Director or Transit Security and Passenger Safety, San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
- James Tollerson, Infrastructure Security Director and FSO, Norfolk Southern
- Vince Verna, Vice President & National Legislative Representative, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers & Trainmen
The reappointed members are:
- Thomas Farmer, Assistant Vice President—Security, Association of American Railroads (AAR)
- Robert Finnegan, Chief Security and Safety Officer, Delaware River Port Authority
- Herschel Flowers, Homeland Security Manager and Special Agent, The Kansas City Southern Railway Company
- Robert Gatchell, Senior Executive Vice President of Operations, Remark Holdings
- Polly Hanson, Senior Director Security, Risk and Emergency Management, American Public Transportation Association (APTA)
- Donald Loftis, Principle Software Engineer, Primary Rail Security Coordinator, Olin Corporation
- Anthony Mercogliano, Deputy Chief Security Operations, New York City Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Doug Morris, Director of Safety and Security Operations, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association
- Joseph Perez, Chief of Police & Security, Metra Commuter Railroad System
- Bob Ramsdell, Chief Safety Officer, National Express LLC
- Brian Reu, Lieutenant; State Director of Pupil Transportation, Minnesota State Patrol
- Alan Smith, Corporate Director of Safety and Security, Greyhound Lines
The STSAC is composed of up to 40 voting members, representing surface transportation providers, users of surface transportation, and surface transportation employees. The Committee also has 14 non-voting members serving in an advisory capacity from the Departments of Defense, Energy, Homeland Security, Transportation, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Transportation Safety Board.
For more information on the STSAC, please visit https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/surface-transportation-security.
Transportation Security Administration was created to strengthen the security of the nation's transportation systems and ensure the freedom of movement for people and commerce. TSA uses a risk-based strategy and works closely with transportation, law enforcement and intelligence communities to set the standard for excellence in transportation security.
For more information about TSA, please visit our website at tsa.gov.