Throughout this holiday season, residents are encouraged to remember the following safety tips:
• Carry your wallet in your front pocket, or your purse zipped up and slung in front of you. Do not carry large amounts of cash or unnecessary credit cards.
• Shop with a friend if possible so that you can look out for each other. Be alert for pickpockets.
• Prevent thefts from vehicles by placing purchased items in your trunk (out of plain view).
• Keep your home well-lit during the evening, making use of dusk-to-dawn lamps, motion-detecting lights, and timed lighting. Keep landscaping trimmed below the window line to prevent hiding places.
• Be aware of anyone who calls you or comes to your door asking for donations for needy individuals. Only provide donations directly to charities that you trust. Never give your personal information, social security number, or bank account number over the phone to someone who you do not know.
• Be aware of individuals asking to shovel your snow. Only allow trusted persons to do so and never allow strangers into your home.
• Report suspicious individuals in parking lots or who are around your neighborhood immediately to the police department by calling 911. You can also request escorts from officers as well.